Thursday, October 11, 2007

 

My position on the Death Penalty

Given the recent debate, I believe it is important for the people of Ryan to know precisely where I stand on the death penalty. I joined Amnesty International in 1975. I have served as President of the Australian Section, and as International Chairperson. For over 30 years I have read Amnesty's reports on genocide, mass killings, disappearances, torture, rape and executions. Amnesty reports are encounters with real evil. Yet, despite that, Amnesty is completely opposed to the death penalty. No qualifications. Opposed in all cases and in all circumstance. That is my position. I am totally and unconditionally opposed to the death penalty in all circumstances. Slowly but surely the world is moving toward the abolition of the death penalty. I believe that is the best and only course forward. I have a deep sympathy for the victims of terrorism, the victims of crime and the victims of human rights abuses. I also have a deep sympathy for the relatives of those who have been executed but were subsequently found innocent. I have sat with some who have been through that nightmare, and also talked with victims of terror and abuse. My position remains clear: opposition in all cases and circumstances. I am also mindful of the statement attributed to Ghandi: "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind".

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Ryan - Australian Labor Party

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?