Thursday, July 19, 2007

 

Well done Stephen Keim!

If only you knew what I know then you would know that I am acting in your best interests. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what I know because that would not be in your best interests. Sounds a bit weird? It does! But that is the mysterious logic being used by Howard Government Ministers around the Mohamed Haneef case. This is, and has always been, a government that thrives on fear and secrecy. It dreads openness and honesty. That is why it has attacked Haneef's defence barrister Stephen Keim for releasing transcripts of Mohamed Haneef's interview with police. Keim has done nothing illegal or unethical. More importantly he has served the public interest by taking a stand to protect the basic principles of the presumption of innocence, transparency in government and the independence of the judiciary. I don't know if Haneef is guilty or innocent. I certainly know that the stand taken by Keim is to be applauded and supported.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Ryan - Australian Labor Party

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?